Fellow Gravel Family,
Due to the CDC, Federal, and OH COVID-19 guidelines, we regret to inform you that we will be changing things up for the Funk Bottoms Gravel event scheduled for June 13, 2020. Please see below for our race idea and optional cancelation policy
Funk Bottoms Gravel is Ohio’s toughest gravel grinder, but it is no match for the Coronavirus. It saddens our hearts but we feel canceling this year’s race is the best solution. Even though we are a few weeks away from the race, planning this year’s race has been extremely difficult. With all the restrictions in place from the State of Ohio, and for the health and safety of our volunteers, racers, and residents of Holmes County we feel this is the best choice.
Funk Bottoms Gravel is and always will be an unsanctioned event. However, we participated in a USA Cycling Symposium on Promoting Cycling Events in the COVID-19 era. They had several recommendations and best practices for safety and sanitation for event organizers. We felt that in our planning process we had covered everything they suggested. Due in part to social distancing restrictions on pre-race, aid stations, awards, and post-race activities, the fun and spirit of Funk Bottoms would be lost this year.
FBG has cooked up, on our Cook’Em Kwick Hobo Stoves, what will hopefully be a once in a lifetime event. The FBG individual and team gravel time trial. No, it’s not some lame virtual event, it’s the real deal. We are working on the details and will report to you with more info shortly.
The basics principle for each the Gravel Time Trial race option.
- Individuals will be allowed a one-time chance to upload their ride to Strava during a designated period. Your Strava activity will be placed against everyone else and you will be issued points towards the Ohio Gravel Race Series and a special FBG award TBD. This will be a one-lap only race.
- Teams of two to four race option. The “overall team time” will be compared to other teams times uploaded to Strava and a special award (TBD) will be given to each member of the winning team. This category will not be eligible for the Ohio Gravel Race Series points. This will be a one-lap only race. We are thinking of a photo scavenger hunt idea to be included with this race. Those teams who find the most items will get time bonuses
- Please join the Funk Bottoms Gravel Strava club https://www.strava.com/clubs/FunkBottomsGravel
- We will use the same course as posted but will not do the abandoned rail bed, rock quarry, sandpit as they are on private property. An updated map and GPX file will be sent out.
- You will have from now until August 31 to complete the race.
We understand this is not a great idea for many of you, especially for those traveling out of town and planning to make a mini-vacation of the event. For those who do not want to participate, we have decided to offer the following three options regarding your entry fee.
1. Complete refund of your entry on Bikereg.com will allow us to refund your entry to the account in which you made the original payment. Please request a refund by June 13th.
2. Your entry fee can be transferred to the 2021 Funk Bottoms Gravel race.
3. Your 2020 entry can be 100% donated to the Holmes County Trail fund.
There is a 7-mile gap from Glenmont to Killbuck that remains as the only trail section in Holmes County yet to be completed sometime in the future. This 29-mile trail, when complete will help, link the Ohio to Erie Trail. The 326-mile OTET designated trail will someday link the Ohio River to Lake Erie. Last year, with your support through donations and a percentage of race entry fees, Funk Bottoms Gravel donated $500 towards this effort. You are all awesome! See the links below if you would like to learn more about these trails
Contact us through email email@example.com on how you would like to proceed with your entry fee.
Holmes County Trail: https://www.ohiobikeways.net/holmes.htm
Ohio to Erie Trail: https://www.ohiotoerietrail.org/
During these unprecedented times, we hope you are still able to enjoy your favorite gravel roads and local trails while being socially distant. We will get through this and after we do, it will be time to celebrate with a local group ride, fist bumps, and post-ride cheers. We wish you and your families the best of health.
Thank you & ride safe,
The FBG Family